Techniques for Managing Workplace Stress
Some events that cause tension are:
- employment uncertainty
- uncertain Future
- financial problems
- workload - deadlines
- lack of support
- continual conflict
Some effects of tension are:
- tight neck muscles
- churning stomach
- increased blood pressure
- increased alcohol or tobacco use
- clenched fist - clenched jaw
Today’s workplace is filled with stress because of: change, uncertainty and economic fluctuations. This last year we have seen unprecedented numbers of people out of work and the highest unemployment rates in decades. Psychologists are seeing many people with stress related problems because of employment and unemployment uncertainty. For each person, we need to identify the causes of stress and how to manage it.
The following steps will help you in managing your stress:
- Identify your causes for stress: for example workplace uncertainty, time, family, money, work-related conflicts, too many demands or self-doubt.
- Identify your actions/signs of stress; for example, short-tempered, not finishing projects, feeling overwhelmed, angry, blaming others, withdrawing.
- Find ways to lessen stress: voice the unexpressed, discuss causes of stress with a friend or write out the causes. Reread the written causes, underline important issues, and develop an action plan. Instead of worrying about statements that you have already made in anger—control your worrying by working out a best/worst case scenario. When you define a worst case, you can then figure out how to deal with it. You can also realize that a best case may be the outcome. Either way, you have mapped out the consequences of your angry statement and, by doing so, can eliminate the worry and feel in control.
- Be honest with yourself — don’t try to accomplish more than what is possible in a given period of time.
- Take at least 15 minutes of uninterrupted time for yourself daily. Leave your immediate work area and take a brief walk outside or have an informal discussion with a coworker. These activities can relax you and even enhance productivity.
- Tension Discharge Rate: Find an approach for releasing stress: take a walk, read, do deep breathing exercises, listen to music.
Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Techniques for Managing Workplace Stress.
TrackBack URL for this entry: